State Member for Campbelltown Greg Warren is encouraging all eligible pensioners to apply for a rebate on their council rates to help with the rising cost of living.
An annual concession of up to $250 per property is available to pensioners across New South Wales for ordinary rates and domestic waste charges.
A further rebate of up to $87.50 is available for annual water rates and up to $87.50 for annual sewerage rates, where councils provide those services.
“Being able to provide peace of mind to pensioners is so important given the cost-of-living pressures,” Mr Warren said.
The NSW Government funds 55 per cent of the pensioner rebate, while councils pay the remaining 45 per cent.
The Government’s share of the funding is provided to councils, which administer the entire rebate to eligible ratepayers.
“The NSW Government understands people are doing it tough right now, with pensioners especially vulnerable to rising cost of living,” Ron Hoenig Minister for Local Government said.
“I encourage councils to submit their concession subsidy forms to the Office of Local Government before the October deadline and take full advantage of the funding available.”
Eligibility for the pensioner concessions is determined in accordance with the Australian Government’s policies on pensioner eligibility and income thresholds.
A range of further savings and support is available from the Government to help ease the cost of living for NSW pensioners.
More information can be found on the Savings Finder page of the Service NSW website: https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/campaign/savings-finder#seniors
Applications for payment of the Pensioner Concession Subsidy to local councils are now open.
Councils have until Friday 6 October 2023 to submit their claims covering concessions provided to pensioners for the 2023-24 year.