Equitable access to affordable health care and better infrastructure particularly public transport are high on the Federal Member for Macarthur Dr Mike Freelander’s priority areas that he will be championing this year.
Last year when doctors providing evidence at the parliamentary inquiry into the South West Sydney Health District agreed that south western Sydney residents were being treated as “second class citizens”, Dr Freelander had notably said, “To us the people of western Sydney are first class citizens who deserve first class care.”
Dr Freelander feels that the Macarthur region deserves better and requires greater investment to match the growing population and demands placed on local services.
He has therefore kicked off the New Year by listing the Top 5 critical areas that he will be advocating for this year, while also dealing with the continuing impact of the pandemic on our community. They are:
- Better infrastructure for Macarthur, particularly public transport in our region; Dr Freelander believes that the Leppington rail line to Western Sydney Airport will have tremendous economic and social benefits to Macarthur residents and that it is an urgent priority.
- A focus on making sure Macarthur residents have equitable access to affordable health care and that professionals and staff working in the health care sector receive the support and resources they require.
- Making sure that dental care is included as part of Medicare; and Dr Freelander will continue to work with his Federal Labor colleagues to establish this as a healthcare priority.
- Making sure that no Australian child is left behind and can be educated to the best of their abilities, as education is a fundamental right of every child.
- Fighting for Macarthur small businesses to ensure that they get the support they need to prosper and continue to employ locally and provide support for our community.
Dr Freelander feels that Macarthur is a tremendous region to live in and raise a family, establish a business, or enjoy the natural beauty of our environment and yet, it is constantly neglected by the Morrison Government.
“This list is not complete and I will continue to add to it, as there are many issues and concerns that our residents have, and I encourage anyone who would like to raise these with me to do so by contacting my office via email at email@example.com,” Dr Freelander said.