Words of sympathy and support are flowing in for the family of the 29-year-old paramedic who died after being stabbed outside the McDonald’s restaurant on Queen Street, Campbelltown.

NSW Health Secretary Susan Pearce was moved to tears as she paid tribute to the man and his paramedic colleagues.

“The health system is one big family and to lose someone in this way is incomprehensible to us,” she said.

About 5.30am this morning, officers from the Campbelltown Police Area Command were called to McDonald’s restaurant on Queen Street following reports a male paramedic had been stabbed.

The man was treated at the scene and taken to Liverpool Hospital, where he later died. A crime scene was established, which is being forensically examined by specialist officers.

NSW Ambulance Commissioner Dominic Morgan said the man’s death was a tragic loss.

“This is a young man who, his father tells me from the age of five years old, knew that he always wanted to be a NSW paramedic. He wanted nothing more than to serve his community,” Commissioner Morgan said.

“He’d been with us a relatively short period of time, had recently found out that he was being posted back to South West Sydney. I’m told he was so pleased he was going to be able to stay here with his family, bring up his children and look forward to the area he lived in and loved more than anything.

“Personally it’s very difficult to process any person just going to work to do their job, let alone a paramedic who puts themselves on the line, to not come home is a tragedy and almost inconceivable to work through on any level.”

Police arrived within minutes of receiving the call and a 21-year-old man was arrested at the scene and taken to Campbelltown Police Station, where he is currently assisting police with inquiries.

“On arrival police were confronted by a 21-year-old man from Raby who was armed with a knife,” NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Mal Lanyon said.

“In order to render assistance to paramedics on the scene, police were forced to use a taser and subsequently arrested that 21-year-old male.”

Police said the man arrested at the scene had been seen driving around early this morning through Ingleburn and Campbelltown in a blue Honda Jazz sedan and they are asking for anyone with information to contact police.

Local detectives have commenced an investigation, with assistance from the State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad, into the circumstances surrounding the incident and anyone with information is urged to come forward and contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Local MPs react to “horrible crime”

Describing this as a horrible crime, Federal Member for Macarthur Dr Mike Freelander said that all front line workers and first responders have the right to work safely.
“I send my best wishes to the paramedic, their colleagues and their family during this difficult time. The stress that violent interactions has on these workers and their families is cruel and wrong,” Dr Freelander said.
Campbelltown MP Greg Warren said that no one expects to go to work and not return home, and unfortunately, this is the very sad reality for one family today.
“This serves as a reminder of the inherent dangers confronting many of our frontline workers and first responders, that thankfully, most people will never have to face,” Mr Warren said.
“The community is indebted to the fine men and women who have chosen this profession and we recognise their commitment to the health and safety of our communities.”